A Pivotal Encounter: Bangladesh vs New Zealand 3rd ODI
In a series marked by strategic restings and unanticipated results, Bangladesh and New Zealand are set to lock horns in the final game of the three-match ODI series. The series, currently led by New Zealand 1-0, has seen both teams making significant alterations to their squads. The conclusive match is scheduled for Tuesday, September 26, at the renowned Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium in Mirpur.
New Zealand, fielding a secondary team, clinched an 86-run victory in the second game, following a first ODI that concluded without a result. The ‘Bangla Tigers’, too, opted to rest several key players, setting the stage for a series finale filled with anticipation and strategic gameplay.
Squad Adjustments and Strategy
For the impending third ODI, Bangladesh has instigated several changes. Najmul Hossain Shanto, having regained fitness, will assume the captaincy, relieving Litton Das of the role. Several notable players, including the wicketkeeper-batter Litton Das, Tamim Iqbal, and Mustafizur Rahman, are being rested for the conclusive match. The squad sees the return of Taskin Ahmed, Mushfiqur Rahim, Mehidy Hasan Miraz, and Shoriful Islam, aiming to gain momentum ahead of the forthcoming ODI World Cup.
New Zealand’s Formidable Presence
The Blackcaps have witnessed consistent performances from Henry Nicholls, who has been instrumental with scores of 44 and 49 in the series. The final game is crucial for Nicholls as he aims to convert his starts into a substantial score. Meanwhile, Ish Sodhi’s exceptional 6/39 in 10 overs during the second ODI will make him a pivotal player in the middle overs.
Match Details and Streaming
- Match: Bangladesh vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI Match
- Venue: Sher-E-Bangla National Cricket Stadium, Mirpur
- Date & Time: Saturday, September 26, 1:30 PM IST
- Live Streaming Details: Sony Sports Network
The Sher-E-Bangla National Cricket Stadium has presented a challenging pitch, with sluggish behaviour and considerable assistance to spinners. Batters will need to strategise meticulously, and opting to bat first could be a favourable decision at this venue.
The teams have faced each other in 40 matches, with New Zealand leading with 29 wins to Bangladesh’s 10, and one match concluding without a result.
Probable Playing XI
- Bangladesh (BAN): Mehidy Hasan Miraz, Tanzid Hasan Tamim, Najmul Hossain Shanto (C), Towhid Hridoy, Mushfiqur Rahim (wk), Mahmudullah, Mahedi Hasan, Nasum Ahmed, Taskin Ahmed, Hasan Mahmud, Shoriful Islam
- New Zealand (NZ): Finn Allen, Will Young, Chad Bowes, Henry Nicholls, Tom Blundell (wk), Rachin Ravindra, Cole McConchie, Ish Sodhi, Kyle Jamieson, Lockie Ferguson (C), Trent Boult
Players to Watch
- Najmul Hossain Shanto (Bangladesh): The left-handed batter has been in sublime form, accumulating 622 runs in 13 innings this year, making him Bangladesh’s highest run-getter in ODIs in 2023.
- Ish Sodhi (New Zealand): The experienced leg-spinner’s knowledge of sub-continent conditions was evident in his splendid performance in the second game, making him a significant threat to Bangladesh, especially if they bat second.
This final encounter between Bangladesh and New Zealand promises to be a riveting clash, with both teams making strategic adjustments and key players looking to make impactful contributions. The match not only concludes the series but also serves as a crucial preparatory ground ahead of the ODI World Cup.